CROSS ICE HOCKEY
Using the same analytics technology used by the NHL, USA Hockey has proved the benefits of cross ice hockey for young players more than double benefits of full ice games. They used "good" U8 players in their analysis. In the video they do not even mention the proportionally smaller nets the goalies are using (brilliant, and done in every other net/field sport except hockey!).
- 6x more shots on goal/player
- 5x more passes received/player
- 2x more puck battles/player
- 2x more puck touches/player
- 2x more pass attempts/player
- 2x more shot attempts/player
- 2x more change of direction pivots
- 1.75 shots/minute vs 0.45 shots/minute playing full ice
- Turns out the actual stats of the U8 game resemble those of an NHL game.
- Simply put by Bob Mancini, Manager of USA Hockey Athlete Development Model, The numbers show what is good for a child.
Video Link to "NHL Analytics Tracking of 8U Hockey Players"
Hockey Canada Cross-Ice Mandate
Hockey - A Child's View